Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is currently ongoing. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program enables U.S. undergraduate students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, providing them with skills critical to U.S. national security and economic prosperity.
They will gain proficiency in diverse languages and cultures, skills that are critically important to their academic and career development.
The program aims to encourage students to study and intern in diverse countries or areas and world regions.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship program also encourages students to study languages, especially critical need languages (deemed necessary to national security).
Universities and organisations outside the US.
Level/Field(s) of study:
Study abroad and internships programs
Number of Scholarships:
U.S. citizens of limited financial means to study or intern abroad.
The scholarship amounts range from US$100 to US$5000 (with the opportunity to receive a Critical Need Language Award of up to US$8000).
Scholars are chosen by a competitive selection process and must use the award to defray eligible study or intern abroad costs.
These costs include tuition, room and board, books, local transportation, insurance, international airfare, passport and visa fees.
A Gilman Scholar’s final award amount will be determined by financial need, program length, overall program costs and the strength of the application.
Gilman Scholarship recipients can only receive the scholarship once. If a student previously declined the Gilman Scholarship, they are welcome to re-apply, as long as they still meet all eligibility requirements, as follows:
- • A citizen of the United States;
- • An undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (including both 2-year and 4-year institutions);
- • Receiving a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of their study abroad program or internship;
- • In the process of applying to, or accepted to, a credit-bearing study abroad or internship program. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement;
- • Applying for credit-bearing study abroad programs in a country or area with an overall Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2, according to the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Advisory System. But certain locations within these countries or areas may be designated within the Travel Advisory as either “Do not travel to” (Level 4) or “Reconsider travel to” (Level 3) locations, as such; students will not be allowed to travel to these specific locations. Moreover, students are not eligible to apply for programs in a country or area with an overall Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory.
The U.S. Department of State reserves the right to request program changes for specific countries or locations if deemed necessary during any stage of the application, selection process, or while on program. Final awards are contingent upon the availability of funds and the health and security situation in a country or location. Furthermore, a Gilman Scholar’s status may be affected should the health or security situation in a country or location change.
How to Apply for Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship 2023.
Students can study and intern abroad during the spring, summer, fall, winter, or academic year term.
The October 2023 Deadline application will open in mid-August 2023 for applicants whose in-person programs or internships start between 1 December 2023 to 31 October 2024. This cycle encompasses Winter or January term 2024, Spring 2024, Maymester 2024, Summer 2024, Fall 2024, and Academic Year 2024-2025 programs. The application deadline is Thursday, 5 October 2023, at 11:59pm Pacific Time.
The March 2024 Deadline application will open in mid-January 2024 for applicants whose in-person programs or internships start between 1 May 2024 to 30 April 2025. This cycle encompasses Maymester 2024, Summer 2024, Fall 2024, Academic Year 2024-2025, and Spring 2025 programs or internships. The application deadline is Thursday, 7 March 2024 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/